Monday, December 15, 2008

We are slaves to the machine.

Watching that clip from "Metropolis" was very ominous. I have seen the film before, and it had just as frightening an effect then as it does now. As far as I know, they are not robots, but the workers are so used to working with machines that they themselves become mechanized. Watching it made me think of the direction we are heading technologically. It seems as if every minute, new breakthroughs in computer technology are being developed. It is kind of frightening.

I remember a while back, I was watching this television program about various theories as to how human civilization would end on the planet Earth. One of the theories was that nations around the world would be ruled by a computer-like machine as opposed to a human leader. Its capabilities would be astounding. However, since mankind gives it so much power, it would eventually overthrow the human race and destroy everything. I know it sounds like something that science fiction writers would predict happening in the distant future, but with the way we're mastering the science of computers, who's to say we're not far off?

No comments: